Sunday, September 12, 2010

Envy

I feel envious of close families. Today is our church's Baptism Sunday. I see all the families there celebrating their newly baptized family member. They will leave and have celebrations full of family and friends... as it should be.
I was baptized when I was 13 years old.  Afterward we came home from church like any other Sunday without fanfare.
When my daughter was baptized, it was a big day for her and I made sure of it. Her Aunt (my sister) and a few close friends. There was no recognition from my mother (her grandmother) whatsoever.

2 comments:

  1. A baptism is a rebirth and should be celebrated just like the birth of a child. We are new in Christ and should act accordingly.

    It really makes sense that our family has actually been segregated into smaller family groups. You and I and our families, our older sister and brother and their families and our older 2 brothers alone so to speak. So, we celebrate with our smaller family groups. I just wish that our mom could celebrate with all of us. After all, it was her choice to have 6 kids... not ours. But I'm thankful she did so we can be best friends. There is a reason for everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthdays, holidays, graduations, baptisms, etc. are important but we were made to feel bad for inconveniencing her with them. You should want to be there.

    ReplyDelete